I already had a request for this recipe, so I’m just going to jump the gun and post it. I always go with 8 zucchini, but 6 would work just as well, I assume. (Though you would have a higher ratio of filling with 6… as if that could possibly be a bad thing.)
I ate two filled zucchini halves + a side of cauliflower for dinner and I’m happily and comfortably full. Good stuff[ed zucchini].
- 6-8 zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp oregano (I think this recipe [from my mommaaaaa] is a little heavy-handed on the spices, so I use a bit less, but it’s all a matter of preference)
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/4 tbsp white pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 kaiser rolls, cubed
- 1/4 lb swiss, chopped
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Slice each zucchini in half length-wise. Lightly cook by microwaving for 40-60 seconds. Scoop out and reserve insides.
- Sautee onion until tender. Add in garlic. Continue cooking until lightly browned.
- Mix in tomatoes, zucchini insides, and spices. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine sauteed mixture with cubed rolls and swiss.
- Cover the bottom of 9” x 13” dish or roasting pan with tomato sauce and line with 8 zucchini shells. (I filled the remaining 8 zucchini halves and froze them in single servings to make later.)
- Fill each shell and top with mozzarella.
- If you like your cheese on top to be well done, bake for 30 minutes at 375°F. If you prefer your cheese to be less well done, cover with tinfoil for the first 20-25 minutes, and remove it for the final 5-10 minutes.
- Makes 16 half servings/8 full servings.
I topped some with feta instead of mozzarella for myself, and I died. You should probably do the same. (Not die, but rather top yours with feta.)
Nutrition (half/full zucchini, including mozzarella & sauce)
- Calories: 195/390
- Fat: 6g/12g
- Carbohydrate: 19g/38g
- Protein: 8g/16g